About the Detection of Mesothelioma, Treatment, and Seeking Out Compensation
Asbestos-related illness can cause victims and their families a great deal of suffering while also creating financial issues because of the high costs associated with medical treatment. Early diagnosis and filing a legal claim as soon as possible can help victims and their families to deal with the issues caused by exposure to asbestos.
If you or a loved one is suffering from mesothelioma as a result of being exposed to asbestos, the Texas asbestos lawyers of Hotze Runkle PLLC have the experience you need to help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
The Four Primary Types of Mesothelioma
Recognizing the symptoms associated with the various types of mesothelioma can help you or your loved one to seek out the medical attention you need. It is important to be aware of how these primary types of mesothelioma can affect you.
The various types of mesothelioma are determined by where they occur on the body and the types of cancer cells. These primary types of mesothelioma include:
- Pleural Mesothelioma
- The most common type, this accounts for 75-90 percent of all mesothelioma cases.
- Occurs in the lining (pleura) of the lung cavity.
- Symptoms can include constant chest pain, weight loss, and fever.
- Peritoneal Mesothelioma
- This is the second most common type of mesothelioma and accounts for 10-30 percent of all mesothelioma cases.
- Occurs in the abdominal cavity (peritoneum), thickening of lining or small tumor often revealed.
- Symptoms can include severe abdominal pain, fever, and nausea.
- Pericardial Mesothelioma
- A very rare type of mesothelioma and only accounts for 1 percent of all cases.
- Occurs in the lining of the heart (pericardium).
- Symptoms include constant chest pain, shortness of breath, and nausea. Victims may feel pain similar to that of a heart attack.
- Testicular Mesothelioma
- Only 100 cases have been reported for this type of mesothelioma.
- Occurs in the lining of the testicles (tunica vaginalis).
- So rare, that the effectiveness of available treatment cannot be determined.
- Symptoms include pain in the testes, swelling of the scrotum, or lump/ mass found in the area.
Benign vs Malignant Tumors
The types of tumors associated with mesothelioma can be classified as benign or malignant. Malignant tumors are cancerous and extremely dangerous because the cancer cells can grow and divide uncontrollably, resulting in the spread of cancer to other areas of the body.
Benign tumors grow slowly and do not pose the threat of spreading to other areas. They usually appear in a single mass and can be removed through surgery with limited chances of reappearing.
Dealing with Mesothelioma
Although there is no immediate cure for malignant mesothelioma, there are available treatments and emerging options that can help to improve prognosis and alleviate symptoms for a victim. Most physicians generally recommend traveling to a cancer institute for specialized mesothelioma treatment.
Multimodal treatment is a combination of several treatments, and even emerging treatments, which are used to resolve issues associated with the cancer. The types of mesothelioma treatments that are available include but are not limited to:
- Surgery – The goal of surgery is to eliminate the tumor at an early stage or to administer palliative care if the diagnosis is made later in the development of the disease. In these cases, surgeons will attempt to remove the liquid in the pleural, abdominal, and chest areas, in order to ease any pain the patient may be suffering from.
- Chemotherapy – Chemotherapy is used as either a neoadjuvant or adjuvant to minimize tumors or to kill cancerous cells that linger. This treatment may be used multimodally or palliatively.
- Radiation – Radiation therapy causes fewer side effects and is thus often recommended for those in poor health conditions. This form of treatment aims to eliminate mesothelioma cancer cells and prevent their reproduction.
How to Receive Compensation for Your Asbestos Exposure
After the initial discovery of asbestos as a toxic building material, many companies failed to inform workers of the dangers and risks associated with exposure, including the development of mesothelioma. For this reason, there are many available routes one can seek with the help of the experienced Texas asbestos lawyers at Hotze Runkle PLLC.
The three main types of mesothelioma claims that you can make are:
- Legal Claim – This would be a claim using a formal legal process such as a lawsuit or filing for compensation from an asbestos trust. Negligent companies that exposed their employees to asbestos but then filed for bankruptcy were legally required to form trust funds in order to compensate victims for their negligent behavior.
- Benefits Claim – Entitlement programs such as workers’ compensation or veterans’ benefits are an additional route of compensation available to those who meet the requirements.
- Insurance Claim – Medical insurance is the third available source of compensation that can be sought after if a claim is submitted for injuries incurred while covered by said insurance.
When Filing a Claim, Act In A Timely Manner
If you are a victim of exposure to asbestos and have developed mesothelioma, it is important to know that each state has a time restriction for filing a mesothelioma claim. This is known as the Statute of Limitations and usually refers to a 2 to 3 year time period to make claim after the initial diagnosis of an asbestos-related disease, mesothelioma, or an asbestos-caused death (in that case, one would file a wrongful death claim).
It is vital to seek legal action as soon as you have received a proper and official diagnosis of an asbestos-related illness.
The experienced asbestos and mesothelioma lawyers at Hotze Runkle PLLC recommend that you:
- Keep a record of employment where the asbestos exposure may have occurred including the various locations and sites – even if across multiple states.
- Document the effect and impact of the asbestos-related illness and symptoms on your life.
- Acquire official testing and diagnosis from your physician.
- Seek out a qualified legal representative who has experience in dealing with mesothelioma claims to help get the proper legal procedures going.
Time is of the essence when filing a claim. The dedicated team of asbestos attorneys at Hotze Runkle PLLC are prepared to defend your claim and help you recover from the expenses and damages incurred from asbestos exposure and mesothelioma.